Fallin 4 U
My first almost-game! It's... "Fallin 4 U" an endless score-attack game in the classic arcade style.
Three things I like:
- It's mine! All mine! After doing a handful of tutorials and copy-cat exercises, I can proudly say that every asset in my first game was hand-created by me. Sure, it's ugly as hell and maybe music could add something, but having my stamp on every inch of this thing is incredibly empowering.
- It's weird! Maybe even original. I've certainly never played anything exactly like this. Sure it was born out of the Super Hexagon school of impending death, but there are lots of little things going on here that I kinda like. Off-kilter fruit patterns, time and fruit combining for your score (which do you prioritise?), and the bizarre-but-not-horrendous color palette.
- Polish! This is a silly stupid game and I spent way too long putting it all together (ahem, learning exercises) but there are lots of little things that make me really happy like the animation/screen-shake on the title screen and the teaching method of the "rules room" So much iteration for a wee little game.
Three things I don't like:
- Working with Gamemaker! Since I revised this thing about a million times, it got me very comfortable moving around in the Gamemaker environment. That was an awesome experience and very powerful but I kept hitting limitations that I couldn't get around in programming and with the built-in tools. This just spurred me on to learn GIMP more and double down on my programming lessons.
- Very simple design with little replayability other than beating your high scores. I tried implementing a few things to liven things up (random state changes, power-ups, time-triggered speed changes) but they either didn't work because Gamemaker or they just weren't fun.
- Programmer art! Hit me up if you're an artist looking to collaborate.