Recipe: Entree - Hearty Bulgur Mess
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- dash of salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 12 oz ground beef or substitute
- ground pepper to taste
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- 1.5 tsp red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 roma tomato (optional)
- 12 oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinses
- 12 oz tomato sauce
When the water has come to a boil, stir in the cup of bulgur and set the heat on low to simmer. After 15 minutes, or when all water has been been absorbed, remove the bulgur from the heat.
In the meantime, begin heating the olive oil in a large, deep skillet. Place the diced onion in the skillet and sautee until soft and translucent, mostly cooked. 7-10 minutes Add the green bell pepper and the ground beef. Sprinkle ground pepper and chili flakes evenly, add soy sauce, and stir thoroughly until pepper slices are soft. 4-6 minutes If desired, add tomato and cook an additional minute. Stir in chickpeas and tomato sauce and heat thoroughly. 1-2 minutes
Turn heat off. Add bulgur. Stir completely. Serve
- You can use brown rice in place of bulgur wheat for a gluten-free recipe.
- 12oz for ground beef/veggie beef is simply a suggestion, raise or lower the proportion according to taste and what you have on hand.