Recipe: Entree - Rice & Beans
- 2 cups cooked black beans or 1 12oz can, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry brown rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced (optional)
- 1 carrot, diced (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3.4 cloves of garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced thinly
- garnish (optional)
If using dried black beans, make sure they have soaked for at least six hours and have since been rinsed. Cook the beans in water with salt or broth if desired. 70-90 minutes
Also cook the brown rice in water or broth and have on hand with beans when all other ingredients are prepared.
Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the chopped onion as well as the celery and carrot if you are using them. Cook 4-5 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add spices, lime juice, tomatoes, and the jalapeno as well as any other desired vegetables. Saute for an additional 6-8 minutes.
Stir in the beans and rice. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until all parts are evenly heated. If you wish, garnish with fresh ingredients such as cilantro, lime wedges, thinly sliced radishes, or freshly sliced avocado.
Serve or put away for later.
- Ground beef or veggie ground make an excellent occasional addition to this recipe for extra heartiness.
- As noted throughout the recipe, there are ton of possible variations depending on what veggies you have on hand. This general recipe is extremely versatile and will usually work with whatever you have on hand. Most of the ingredients should be standard in your cupboard so this is an easy meal to make without a trip to the grocery store